6 factors to keep in mind that affect the lifespan of water heater
Water heaters are amazing creatures. They will stay in the corners of the house serving hot water for years and one morning suddenly you notice that it has broken down. Traditional water heaters can serve for 8 to 12 years whereas modern water heaters can serve more than 20 long years.
In this article, we are not only going to discuss the common things that shorten the lifespan of a water heater, but also when to repair or replace the water heater and many more. To repair your old water heater, you can Find Water Heater Repair in Carlsbad as well.
But before jumping to the point, here we are discussing the types of water heaters and their lifespans in brief.
The lifespan of Water heaters:
There is no fixed answer of how many years a water heater can serve. There are different types of water heaters and each of them has a different lifespan. But with proper care and maintenance of a water heater, you can increase its lifespan by 2 to 3 years.
It also depends on the costs and the quality of the water heater. In the market, you will find lots of inexpensive water heaters. Naturally, they will not survive more than 5 years as they are built using cheap materials but there are also many expensive water heaters in the market. The expensive ones can easily provide hot water for 12 to 18 years.
Read also: Repairing A Hot Water Heater: How Much Would It Charge?
Sometimes repairing the water heater can no longer remain an option because either they are too old or they are in very bad condition. Then purchasing a brand new water heater is the best choice.
If you want to avoid buying a new water heater every time it faces a malfunction, then buy water heaters that are expensive as they come up with an extended warranty.
There are only four types of water heaters in general
- Tank gas water heaters are the most common water heaters. They easily serve hot water for 8 to 10 years without worrying much. The main reason it needs to be replaced is that over time the anode present in the heater gets corroded.
- Tank electric water heaters can remain useful for more than 10 to 14 years. These water heaters are electricity-based. The only requirement is these water heaters require regular maintenance as there are so many electric components present in the heater. With regular checkups, they can serve more than 15 years.
- Then there comes tankless gas water heaters. These are the most advanced ones. These water heaters have a longer lifespan than conventional ones. With proper maintenance, these water heaters can serve up to 20 years.
- Tankless electric water heaters also serve the same as tankless gas heaters. As the electric components require regular checkups, with proper maintenance they can easily serve around 20+ years.
But the lifespan of the water heaters depends on multiple factors. Purchasing an expensive with an extended warranty does not promise you that the heater will not generate malfunction. If the water heater in your house is breaking down every one or two months. Then it might be a sign of concern that needs to be addressed immediately.
Some factors shorten the lifespan of a water heater.
Some of the main factors that influence the lifespan of water heaters are :
- Build quality: Build quality of the water heater is the most important factor that decides how long the water heater will serve. You can not expect a cheap water heater to survive more than 10 years. The higher the price of the water heater, the better the built quality.
You can engage with Water Heater Repair in Carlsbad ca, they can guide you while purchasing an expensive water heater. They will also help you to install it in your home as well with water heater installation professionals.
Water heaters with superior build quality are more likely to last longer than cheap materials. Though only ensuring superior quality is not enough. Other factors affect the lifespan more than you can think of.
- High water pressure: High water pressure can tremendously damage the water heater. Not maintaining the water pressure can severely damage multiple components of water heaters.
While purchasing, make sure your water heater has a pre-installed pressure-reducing valve that automatically reduces the pressure inside the water heater and restricts it from creating any severe issue.
What you need to do is to regularly check if the PVR( Pressure Reducing Valve) is working properly or not. The valve needs to work smoothly otherwise sooner or later your water heater will break down.
- Faulty installation: No matter how expensive or premium your water heater is, it is not installed properly, then you can not expect it to smoothly provide hot water for decades. Your water heater will likely start causing problems within a week if it is not properly installed.
No matter if you are installing storage water heaters or instant water heaters, hiring professionals from verified organisations is very important. You can contact Water Heater Repair in Carlsbad ca, as they provide not only repairing service, but also installation services. Ventilation, accessibility, and insulation are the most important factors to consider while installing.
- Anode rods corrosion and limescale: Anode rods are considered one of the most important parts of a water heater. It can face corrosion at any time. The best option is the replacement of anode rods.
Limescale is considered a curse for tank water heaters and instant water heaters as well. A little limescale can hamper the water heating process. You should find Water Heater Repair in Carlsbad and ask for their suggestions for a better solution.
- Usage: Not using equipment properly is one of the main causes of its failure. What we do is increase the water load so that it can meet our requirements. Over time these workloads will damage your water heater.
So instead of putting too much pressure on a medium-size water heater, purchase a large water heater to fulfill your requirements. This will increase the life expectancy of your water heater.
- Maintenance: I have already mentioned that maintenance can increase the lifespan of your water heater by 2 to 3 years and much more. With periodic check-ups, a water heater can serve a few decades with a few timely repairs.
You need to hire professional water repairs who have years of experience in regular checkups. They can assess even the slightest symptoms of any malfunction in the water heater. And can take the required steps immediately. If the repair is done in time, then no severe damage can occur.
The factors I have mentioned above are the primary factors that cause the water heater to serve less than it was expected. For timely repair, Find Water Heater Repair in Carlsbad has years of experience in this field. If you seek any other advice on this topic, take professional help.
Before purchasing a new water heater, do not fix a budget. Because on a tight budget, you will end up purchasing an inferior quality water heater that will eventually turn into a headache in the coming years. So instead, think of it as an investment and do not compromise with the quality. Also, hire experienced workers to install it to avoid any installment related problems. Hope you find this article helpful.